Puerta de la Ciudadela
Montevideo is born as a Spanish colony and strategic military enclave . Its walls were built around 1741 and began to demolish in 1829. There are still visible remains of the fortifications along the street Bartolomé Mitre, the port area and the southern coastline. The walls finished off north and south bastions called cubes where the cube until now South remain . Perhaps most emblematic is the Puerta de la Ciudadela connecting the small fort with the colonial walled city through a ditch and drawbridge . If you carefully observe the Gate of the Citadel still shows the slots through which ran the chain holding the said bridge. Currently this door connects the Old Town with the Center Montevideo .
The Church of the Immaculate Conception ( Mother Church ) was one of the markers of the colonial city . Begun by the Portuguese military engineer and Saa Custodio Faria and continued by the architect Tomás Toribio with its simple construction volumes, expressed with austerity, is representative of the Spanish Neoclassicism .
Access is through a portico to enter a building type basilica with three naves and transept, dome resting on cylindrical drum .
Its construction was completed in several stages , starting from an original 1790 draft . The construction required 14 years, although the façade underwent several changes , the first in 1860 and another in the mid- twentieth century.
In 1804 , the facade without revoking the towers unfinished and earthen floor , residents of San Felipe de Montevideo attended the consecration of the Mother Church which, along with the council , were still being the reference elements of the Hispanic city .
Built in the early twentieth century as a family residence , the Palacio Taranco is currently under the Ministry of Education and Culture which houses the Museum of Decorative Arts works.
This property of hierarchy, a formal language inspired by the eighteenth century French styles is used, faithful expression of the spirit and customs of the time. The French architect Charles Girault and Jean Chifflot resorted , as in many other of his style , direct import of materials and furnishings . Conserves valuable tapestries, paintings , sculptures and decorative objects. A collection of bronzes adorned dining niches .
The Taranco Palace is uniquely located in a small block of irregular shape. It is considered as the most representative expression of the residential architecture of the early twentieth century.
In 1840 the construction of a temple was managed in order to address the spirituality of Christians who were alienated from the Roman church. in that
time had many foreign families in the city , such as the Anglican tradition.
The proponents of this construction were the consuls of the United States, Sweden and England , who asked the government to create a Protestant temple. the first
English Temple building was opened in 1845 , becoming the first non- Roman church of Uruguay . In 1934 he had to be demolished due to the construction of the new south promenade .
The new temple was inaugurated on June 6, 1936 , largely respecting the architectural guidelines of its predecessor. Among the variations, mainly highlights the disappearance , for aesthetic reasons , the two towers that stood in the back.
The building has a neoclassical style, with English stained glass, large marble pieces that make up the interior of the church . On the walls two commemorative plates of the world wars with the name of the Uruguayan volunteers who lost their lives in these wars are exposed. In addition there is the memorial of the Battle of the River Plate with the participation of the ships Ajax , Exeter and Achilles and the Graf Spee.