Why learn Spanish?
Not only is Spanish an excellent tool if you plan on traveling anywhere in Spain or Latin America, but a basic knowledge of Spanish could also be very useful for your career! It’s a language that lets you communicate with almost 500 million people worldwide and that companies value because it gives them access to one of the fastest growing markets in the world. Let’s just look at some of the facts and indicators, to remember the importance of learning the Spanish language!
• Spanish is the third most spoken language in the world, after Mandarin Chinese and English, and the second figure in the number of native speakers.
• In the late nineteenth century, 60 million people spoke Spanish. Today almost 500 million do worldwide.
• Spanish is the mother tongue of about 388 million people in 21 countries (Mexico: 102 million, USA: 45 million, Spain: 44 million, Colombia: 44 million, Argentina: 39 million, Venezuela: 28 million, Peru: 28 million …) also spoken in many other countries where it is an official language.
• Latin American and Spanish culture still influences from around the world in architecture, art and literature. Who is not familiar with Don Quixote of Cervantes, the second most translated book in the world after the Bible, which celebrated its fourth anniversary in 2005 worldwide?
• The Spanish architect Santiago Calatrava is making its mark globally, with recent and current projects in Sweden, Ireland, Germany, the Olympic Stadium in Athens and the site of the World Trade Center in New York, among others.
• Spanish-speaking writers like Gabriel Garcia Marquez and Isabel Allende continue to occupy the global bestseller lists and getting critical acclaim internationally.